The rain moved in. The gate frames sat waiting in the barn. A little over five inches and five days later blue skies returned and phase two of my gate construction could begin.
First I rolled out the left over piece of wire. It’s amazing how difficult it is to roll a length of wire up yet, once it is rolled, it is even more difficult to straighten it out again. But I found the wire must be flat before trying to attach it to the gate frames.
I use rabbit cage wire six feet tall around my chicken yards. There is a hen yard and a chick yard. Chicks can’t get out through it. The height discourages raccoons and possums. It lasts for decades.
The leftover piece of wire was big enough for two gates with pieces to splice for the third gate. Cutting the pieces took a fence tool and a bigger wire cutter.
Putting the wire on the frames was a challenge at first. The method I found most effective involved setting the frame upright against the black walnut tree. The wire piece was leaned up against the frame. Each corner was wired into place with two attachments on the crossbar.
It would work possibly to just tie the wire on every so often with a loop of wire. I don’t trust this so I lace it on much as a sewing line would be. This is time consuming.
The lacing requires many pieces of wire thin enough to work with easily but thick enough to last for years.
The gate is light weight enough to move easily so my working area was in the clear. The gate turned so each side became the top as I rounded the frame.
Finally the gate was not just a frame but a wire gate. The next step will be the hinges and hanging the gate into place.